SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:06 am 

Economies that work would be fairly interesting, but I think that's been covered by many earlier posts.

Another personal pet peeve of mine: Magic where the implications of magic have been thought out in social and economic terms. Magic is a large part of many fantasy worlds but it just seems like a chuunibyou or Mary-Sue function to make some of the author's favorites (good or bad) more special. I'd like to see it examined more closely. It's been done a few times in some fantasy books, but I'd like to see done in a more systematic fashion. I've been doing it in a fantasy world I've been working on off-and-on for like 20 years, but it's always interesting to see what others think.

Typically, magic is basically a middle schooler's self-importance fantasy come true. Why aren't these people in charge of the entire world? If magical powers are something some people are born with and others not, you basically have a situation where the majority of the human race are untermensch. If almost everyone has it, then those who don't are as handicapped as someone with mental or physical disorders. If only a select handful have it, then you basically are going to have a few God-Emperors running things.

What drawbacks are there to magic? Any? If magic can be used for everything, as rust suggests, it's going to be used for everything. The other trend of magic is that it's a fuzzy feel-good counterpart to evil, dirty, exploitative technology where magic is clean, pure, non-polluting, and has a Good Housekeeping sticker. If it's that great, those who have it will use it for everything. It'll replace "technology."

How long has magic been around? If it has been around since the dawn of time, then there is going to be no "European medieval system." Who's going to bother even developing agriculture when some guy can wave his hand and make edible plants ripen in a moment or can conjure meat from thin air?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 am 

In my fantasy settings (almost) everyone could theoretically learn and use
magic, it only requires the will to do so, a comparatively high intelligence and
the means to pay for the necessary "higher" education - similar to becoming
an engineer or a scientist in the real world.

As a result magic could indeed be used for everything, but the use of magic
is limited by the fact that it is rather expensive because magicians use ex-
pensive alchemical components and charge high wages. Unless one has mo-
ney to burn, many everyday things are still much easier to do or get the non-
magical way. For example, a magician could certainly make the corn ripen fa-
ster or turn a cow into steaks in a moment, but very few people could afford
to pay him for the job, and the price of the magically ripened corn or the ma-
gically created steaks could not compete with the much lower price of non-
magically created stuff. On the other hand, if there is a famine to deal with
or the prince urgently needs strawberries in winter ...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:57 pm 

atpollard wrote:
Endorya wrote:
kafka wrote:
Realism. If I were ever to go back to playing a Fantasy RPG. I would want to set it in the real Dark Ages - where monsters of the Id and monstrous individuals reigned supreme. The supernatural element would come into play, as something not naturally understood even by a contemporary observer. Going into holes in the ground, could be old Roman mines or it could be natural caverns. But, essentially, I would want to strip magic down to shamanic qualities and the belief in the miracle for it to transpire. So, ultra-realistic.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I fully understood your point of view on how to view fantasy as ultra-realistic. :?

Can I ask you more examples of the realism you refer to?
Thanks.

If you are more familiar with the terms 'High Fantasy' and 'Low Fantasy' (from literary circles), I think kafka is describing 'Ultra Low Fantasy' ... like Beowulf (the epic poem) only even more so ... perhaps more like the Icelandic Sagas where 'monsters' are out there somewhere, but the characters are real and the creatures they fight are also very real.

Yes, the only difference between what I advocate and ultra low is that I could see things that have disappeared from our world making an appearance. And, the sands of time washing them away. So, I could creep out players by reading the Fortean Times but with the prejudices and beliefs of the medieval world.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 pm 

rust wrote:
Utilitarian magic. In many games magic is restricted to "heroic" uses, especially
in combat, but any plausible society would attempt to use magic also for every-
day uses, because this is where the biggest markets and the most money are.

That's exactly what I plan to do. For example, medieval freezers or refrigerators will be nothing more than enchanted containers. The construction of castles or other buildings will also be aid through levitation spells. Farming will also be aided trough magic by casting spells on land to kill undesirable plagues and other hazards.

Although magic will serve many roles in my game, I do not plan to let players to create food through magic. Magic in my world setting requires something physical to act upon (with the exception of creating portals). Even summoning will have a reasonable explanation as it will simply try to teleport a nearby creature (within a certain range) to the player's vicinity. This means that the player may not always be able to summon the selected minion. The same thing will apply to hard healing. For example, if a character looses an arm (this will be a common thing for players not taking precautions seriously) he will only be able to fully recover it by actually using an arm from another body during the healing process (creepy).

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.

Last edited by Endorya on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 pm 

kafka wrote:
Yes, the only difference between what I advocate and ultra low is that I could see things that have disappeared from our world making an appearance. And, the sands of time washing them away. So, I could creep out players by reading the Fortean Times but with the prejudices and beliefs of the medieval world.

I see what you mean. Well, I prefer a world rich with fantasy while keeping it plausible and realistic. The reason I prefer high fantasy it's because it adds more ingredients to explore. I love to be surprised with new concepts and ideas. Fantasy gives me more room for imagination. My game will have new playable races designed from scratch. No humans, elves, orcs or dwarfs, instead it will feature of 8 unique races with unique characteristics.

I don't know about you guys but I NEVER EVER played an RPG game as an orc, dwarf or any other race besides Elf and Human. Orcs are evil and bad looking by nature, so I never felt compelled to reincarnate as one. Other races also suffer similar reasons. Would you love to be a troll or an halfling? I can't imagine my hero being a troll or a halfling. This is the reason why I decided to exclude traditional races found in most RPG games.

Remember my game is a video game.

I'm the controversial guy in the family. I have a negative essence and I tendency to reject the common being. I value practical things. Beauty comes always in second place. I'm self taught. I study what I want and when I want. War rages within myself ever since I can remember it. Part of me loves life part of me hates it. I celebrate nothing apart form my marriage. The rest of the year is gray like my soul. Only shouts of creativity give it some color but only when I'm next to my beloved ones.