SFRPG

The forum for Science Fiction Role Playing Game inspiration and information! So Say We All!
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Star Control: Origins
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 pm 

I´ve been playing the new Star Control game that came out earlier this year. It´s not exactly hard sci-fi - in fact I´d say it´s even softer sci-fi than Star Wars - but I am enjoying it thoroughly.

I got Star Control 2 back when it came out in 1992; it was the first game I ever played through without any help, back in an age before internet walkthroughs and wikis, when playing through a game was an achievement. I´ve replayed the game - and its freeware re-make, The Ur-Quan Masters - every few years since.

Both games have very similar gameplay: You fly your starship around a sector of the galaxy, explore star systems, collect resources, and talk to and/or fight a wide assortment of aliens.

Anyone who played Star Control 2 is going to love Origins; it´s a different universe with different aliens and a completely unrelated story, but the atmosphere is the same, and the aliens are just as delightfully zany. The game mechanics are also very similar; not all changes that were made are for the better, IMHO, but most are.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:54 am 

I love this game, but got stuck in trying to defeat the Dreckened Carrier near their homeworld; it is incredibly difficult. Or at least for me.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:09 pm 

Golan2072 wrote:
I love this game, but got stuck in trying to defeat the Dreckened Carrier near their homeworld; it is incredibly difficult. Or at least for me.

I got the AI Fleet Coordinator (I think that´s what it´s called) early on, and let the AI handle most fights. Most of the ships you can salvage from crash site do pretty well against most enemies; I don´t recall having had a lot of trouble with that Carrier, so I figure this was one of them.

Man has earned the right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone completely bat**** insane. xkcd #556
Just like people, stars can be very important without being terribly bright. Phil Plait, "Bad Astronomy"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:29 am 

By the way, did you come across any trace of the Lexites outside the Sol system?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:32 pm 

Sir Chaos wrote:
By the way, did you come across any trace of the Lexites outside the Sol system?

Yes, I vaguely recall a facility in one of the nearby systems.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:11 pm 

I just got back to the game after a hiatus.

And I have to say... while much of the game is a bit too zany for Traveller (or maybe Traveller is a bit too serious for Star Control), there´s still a lot of inspiration to be gotten.

Suggestion for a Traveller adventure: The setting has a species like the Mowlings, and that species is sending a diplomatic delegation to a summit someplace a considerable distance from their own space. The PCs´ job is to make sure that at least one member of the delegation makes it to the summit - and back again - alive, without running afoul of their propensity for incredibly unfortunate accidents.